Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sunny side up, over Easy, Fried , Boiled or Scrambled



Well lets see this was supposed to be my uneventful week. Next week was supposed to be the exciting one. But little did I know everything changed. So Wednesday I went to work as scheduled and David was out of town. About 3 o'clock my charge nurse came over and asked if I wanted to go home and I went back and forth and than decided I would since Reid had been pulling on his ears and fussy and it would be easier to go ahead and get the girls home and ready for bed sooner. So I went to get the kids form my moms and we decided to stay for dinner and the kids wanted grits and eggs. Abby and Bella helped cook Reid was in his high chair playing. Life was good


We sit down to eat I put some eggs on Reid's high chair and go about eating I looked over at him and said "Does he look Red to you" No my dad said he as tired and rubbing his eyes. Okay


Take a bite of food..Look back over


Reid is now clawing his face which is now RED and SWOLLEN. I mean the inside of his eyes were bright Red


we rip him out of the high chair my mom goes to my sisters to get Benadryl we stick him in the bath tub to get the egg off of him. Now while in the bathtub he looks a little better.


20 minutes after we give him the benadryl my dad is holding him and he said Kerri he is breathing really funny...I look at Reid and he is white as a ghost and than he turned BLUE.


We jump in my van as I am vigorously stimulating him and he takes a breath and we are off.


Arrive to the ER I tell the check in person what happened and I hear the nurse in the back ground,,,We have a baby chocking?


She calls us back and I tell her what happened she looks at me and says so you are telling me he was chocking on eggs????? WHAT I said no he had an allergic reaction to eggs she looks at me and tells me if he was having an allergic reaction he still would be????WHAT I treated him at home but he stopped breathing...


Walk back to the exam room and now we got a real smart doctor on this one guys......


Doc: So you are telling me he had eggs once before and didn't have a problem with it.


ME: Yes sir well than I don't see why he turned blue?


Doc: So you are telling me he turned blue mam?


ME:Yes, he had an allergic reaction to eggs


Doc: Okay, Okay well lets see. Has he thrown up recently pr had a fever or cough or runny nose?

ME: No he doesn't have the swine flu..He did throw up the eggs and where the egg touched him he got whelps everywhere..(But since no one has been in here for the last 45 minutes they are gone)


after 3 hours of them doing nothing except checking his pulse ox 3 times and giving him Decadron the doctor comes back in.


Doc: Well I am not sure what is going on but I think he is too young to have an allergic reaction to anything specific and he ad eggs once before.


ME: Laugh


Doc: What


Me: Nothing we have a doctors appointment in the morning we will be fine may I have my discharge papers (IDIOT) no i didn't call him that but I wanted to.



Thank GOD he ruled out swine flu what a relief.....

We went to the allergist..Thankfully we had our 6 month follow up appointment already scheduled. Oh she was so mad they told us he didn't have a food allergy esp since he is already allergic to dairy and soy. And really mad they didn't send us home with an Epi Pen or even give us Epi....We now have Epi Pens and have been instructed since he had a huge reaction we need to keep it with us at all times and anyone who cares for him has to know how to use the pen and what his Allergy action plan is......
This boy is going to give me gray hair sooner rather than later.

We will have his lab drawn in three weeks to see what his food allergy levels are since when you have an allergic reaction you use up all your antibodies so ......

Here is to next week and all the excitement it will bring HAHAHAHAHA

2 comments:

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Oh Kerri, so sorry to hear about little guy...Luke had a reaction to eggs...that's what he is allegeric to. They say it will go away probably after a year. Hope it gets better. Gray hair...come on, we all know you color it :)